If you hadn’t noticed, this week’s “theme” was focused on a big life event for me – our second engagement anniversary. You read our proposal story (which is pretty funny btw) and got some relationship secrets, so now it’s on to why I love being high school sweethearts!
If you scroll down to the comments in either of the posts above, you’ll see a lot of the “omg, how cute that you’ve been together so long!!!!!” type of comments. Which I love reading, because I think it’s pretty cute myself tbh. But more than that, I love everything about being high school sweethearts.
1) We started dating when were were awkward teenagers. So basically nothing can phase us now in terms of weird behaviors or odd appearance.
2) We never had to navigate the online dating scene. While I did stalk the heck out of him on Myspace to acquire his cell number, that is worlds away from the swipe left/right that we have going on now. I honestly wouldn’t even know what to do with that and would probably just become a crazy cat lady.
3) We know each other as well as we know ourselves. Not to say other kinds of couples don’t, but high school sweethearts have spent so much time together that we know their moods, their tells, and can generally predict their reaction to anything.
4) We have a solid foundation. We started dating before all those adult stresses came into play – bills, jobs, etc. which meant we could focus on our relationship rather than paying bills.
5) We are confident in our future. Again, not to say other couples don’t, but high school sweethearts have been together this long for a reason. They’ve had their fair share of arguments in the past so new ones don’t even phase them. There’s never that concern of having the other person leave – you know you’ll work it out.
6) Holidays are so much easier. We’re from the same area, which means family holidays are way easier to deal with and plan out. While there might be a small amount of driving involved, it’s much easier than flying. Plus, after knowing each other and the families for so long, we all become one big family long before marriage. Our families usually coordinate their holiday meal times so that we can go to both without having to miss out one or the other. How awesome is that?
7) We’re pretty good at the life/relationship balance thing. We learned pretty quick how to balance our relationship with our other friendships and school (and later work), so now we’re basically pros.
8) We talked about what we wanted out of life long before we were even engaged. We’ve shared our goals, what we ultimately want, and where we want to be. We knew what each other’s feeling were about kids, living situations, etc. so it was never an issue.
9) So. Many. Memories. We experienced our biggest life milestones and grew into the people we are today together. Over the years, we’ve had a lot of things happen. All of that adds up to an endless supply of funny stories, inside jokes, and memories.
People might’ve given us a hard time at first – we were missing out on the “college experience”, or they had thoughts of us getting married right out of high school and would end up stuck in our hometown and hating each other. But it wasn’t like that. We went to college, we did our separate things, pursued our own interests. Heck, I moved away for a year to attend grad school in Scotland while he stayed back in Louisiana. We still do what we want to – he hangs out with his work friends, I can grab brunch with my old ones, etc. It has never held us back from anything we wanted to do. Just because we’re together doesn’t mean we’re attached at the hip or lose our sense of self. It’s been the best thing for the both of us!
So what do you think? Are you and your s/o high school sweethearts or have you been together a long time? Any points to add?
Comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!